Today, all that remains of the Fort are the deep trenches that surrounded it.
It was originally a station established by Bishop Schreuder of the Norwegian Mission Society in 1860 and was named after the first Pastor, Ommund Oftebro who was known to the Zulus as mondi.
At the start of the Zulu War in 1879 the station was occupied by troops under the command of Colonel Pearson. The buildings were used as a hospital and supply depot and it was at this time that the trenches were dug to create a fort.
When the British evacuated the fort the original buildings were burnt and were later built on an adjoining ridge.
The original mission cemetery can still be seen at the fort as well as the graves of some British soldiers.